Monday, September 8, 2014

Death

Why is it that almost everyone I've ever met refuses to ever contemplate the concept of death, the nature of death and what it means to be around someone who is dying or themselves dying?  Why are they so adamant about not thinking about it simply because they don't need to right now.  You'll have to someday.  Isn't there such a thing as being prepared for the inevitable?  Your parents will die, you siblings could die before you and yes, you too will eventually pass away.  Wouldn't you want to be prepare for the heartache that lies in wait?  I think this is one of those fearing fear itself things.

I think about death everyday.  Not in a sadistic kind of way.  But in a realistic, open minded way.  Every time I go out on a bike or drive in my car, the possibility of being hit is there.  It's real.  So whenever I speak of this to someone as a realistic fact, they look at me like I'm some morbid being and tell me "No, that's not going to happen."
Why not?  Who are you to say if I do or do not get into an statistically factual accident?  Why can't you accept the truth that, yes I may drive as safely as I can, but not everyone does.  I see idiots watching their crotches as they're flying 70 down the freeway.  Semi-trucks passing me on the right as I'm in the turn lane on my bike, staring at their crotches too.  It's maddening how careless people are.  How invincible they feel.  And then the day comes when you say "No, that's not going to happen" and it does, how do you think you're going to feel about reality then?
Death happens.  It's natural and a lot of the time really really stupid as to WHY it happens.  Sometimes you don't even get an answer, you just have to spend a TON of time accepting that it happened and try to reclaim your life.  But what is the point of ignoring something that happens everyday to so many around you?  What's so wrong with preparing the mind for trauma?  There is nothing wrong with exercising reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment