Monday, October 5, 2015
Gun violence and Hannah Hart
That was probably the worst title I could think of off the top of my head.
Just a little while ago I watched Hannah Hart's youtube video with her reaction to the UCC shootings.
The way she expressed her sadness was like watching validation for the conversation I've been trying to have at my school.
MHCC (Mt. Hood Community College) is no different than UCC. Same kind of town, same feel and same wide open campus as are many. I visited once or twice in my life. I was sweet on a girl there once. It could have been her or anyone else I might have known because the world is such a small small place.
That day, hours before the shooting occurred was a happy day for Oregon. It was the first day that cannabis was legal for everyone. Some people have said that if it had been legal sooner, they'd bet it would have helped the shooter. I have to agree. But even then, there are guns everywhere and people aren't getting the help they need.
Hannah goes on to plead that someone somewhere do something.
So my head went to this...
What if guns were monitored as much as your phone? Phones are necessary. Location services often work without you even knowing it. Being a college student myself, I have to have one. Emails are pretty useful. But in being a 2nd year engineering student, why can't I try to assist with answering that plea? Why can't I among others in my class, in my school, in my area of schools make a bold move and design, scale and bring to life something that will move toward a better place?
Why!...can we not build a device that links ALL licensed and registered guns to a database where when the safety is turned off, the device turns on allowing the system to know when and where the gun was used? Or even better, spread an even better warning system of armed and ready guns nearby to help police and EVERYONE get to safety and avoid. Something like this becoming required doesn't take away people's guns. They can still have them. They can still use them. But using them in a hideous way will be even harder.
I know it's not fool proof. It's easy for someone to keep the safety on while the gun is feet away from an intended target. But isn't a first step at least taking a step at all? Let something like that become the shoulders for someone else to improve and build upon. People are only getting more angrier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment